Sunday, June 14, 2009

Things will be great when you're Downtown

I have lived in L.A. my entire life (born and raised in the Valley, in fact), however, I can probably count the number of times I have been to Downtown Los Angeles on both hands. Afraid to venture out of my comfort zone, I stuck to my own daily activities: shopping on Ventura Blvd., drinks in Studio City, movies at the Sherman Oaks Galleria and lunch at little cafes along Ventura (favorites include: Il Trem in Studio City and Aroma Bakery & Café in Encino).

Feeling a bit suffocated by my immediate surroundings I jumped at the chance to take a “Walking Tour” of Downtown L.A. led by members of the Los Angeles Conservancy. A whole whopping $10, the tour gives you a look back at what used to be known as “The Wall Street of the West,” as well as a glimpse into the glitz and glamour of the Roaring 20s.

One of my favorite spots along the tour was the Alexandria Hotel. Currently a low-cost residential hotel, it used to be Los Angeles’ most elegant hotel frequented by Hollywood legends including Charlie Chaplin, Humphrey Bogart, Rudolph Valentino and Clark Gable. In a word: glamorous.

Tours are about two and a half hours long and begin around 10 a.m. Whether you are interested in exploring Downtowns’ Gallery Row, or experiencing original Los Angeles architecture at its finest, there is a tour for you.

Visit www.laconservancy.org/tours or call 213-623-2489 to reserve a spot for you and your friends, then carpool Downtown and take a walk through one of the most fascinating cities in all of L.A.

1 comment: